Ocean Acidification Evaluations and Events in Maine
(updated December 16, 2014)
TONIGHT: E2Tech “Ocean Acidification Forum and Winter Networking Event”: December 16, 2014 at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute in Portland
This event is Maine Water Environment Association’s only opportunity to engage with the Maine’s Ocean Acidification Commission. The event is at capacity. Check back for a summary of the information presented and the Q&A session with the Panel.
Maine Legislature’s Ocean Acidification Commission
Ocean Acidification Commission website (all materials): Link
Who is on the Commission?: Link
Reports of the Maine Legislature’s Ocean Acidification Commission
Final Report (presented to Maine Legislature on December 5)
- (As of December 16, the full report is not available to the public, pending copyright approvals)
- Click here for the Final Goals and Recommendations included in the Final Report.
- Portland Press Herald Press Release about Commission’s findings (12/2/2014): Link
Draft Report (November 10)
- Full Draft Report (OA report draft 102114)
- Recommendations (Tables Only- Recommendation table_Nov 10)
- State of the Science Report (State of the Science Report)
- Proposed Legislation (Draft Proposed Legislation)
- State of the Science Report Glossary (SOTS Glossary)
- State of the Science Report References (SOTS References)
Maine Water Environment Association’s Comments on the Draft Report after the November 10 Commission Work Session: 2014 December 1 2014_OA Commission comments
October 7, 2014 Workshop: The Island Institute
The Island Institute has posted the presentations and a summary report from the day-long session it hosted on October 7, 2014.
All information can be viewed and downloaded here: http://www.islandinstitute.org/OceanAcidification
Quick Link to the Final Report: http://www.islandinstitute.org/documents/II_OA_Vulnerability_Workshop_Report.pdf
Legislation Related to Ocean Acidification
- Click below for the text of Representative Pingree’s proposed bill on Ocean Acidification.
- Pingree HR 4692 Text
NEWEA 2014 Spring Meeting
Click below for the presentation from the OA Panel Discussion.
Island Institute Meeting Documents
- Jay Manning’s Presentation on WA State Ocean Acidification Process at Jan 16 2014 Island Institute Meeting
- Attendees list of Jan 16 2014 Island Institute Meeting
NEIWPCC Outreach on Ocean Acidification
Interstate Water Report, October 2013: “Under the Radar”
- Island Institute Page on Ocean Acidification
- Friends of Casco Bay Page on Ocean Acidification
- Conservation Law Foundation Supports Maine Approach
MEWEA’s Representative on the Maine DMR Shellfish Advisory Council (ShAC)
or contact Tom Connolly for more information.
- WCSH 6 Portland, April 30, 2014
- Portland Press Herald, April 30, 2014
- Portland Press Herald, January 13, 2014
Washington State’s Process
State of Washington Department of Ecology’s Blue Ribbon Panel on Ocean Acidification
Convened by WA Governor Gregoire in November 2011.
- 2012 Blue Ribbon Panel Members, Minutes, and Presentations
- Report: “OA: From Knowledge to Action” (PDF)
- Executive Order 12-07 – Washington’s Response to Ocean Acidification
- Washington College of the Environment’s Ocean Acidification Page
- “20 Facts about Ocean Acidification”
Jay Manning, Cascadia Law Group: “Transition from Science to Policy”
State of Washington Department of Ecology’s Washington Marine Resources Advisory Council (MRAC)
Formed by WA State Legislature in 2013
National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Editorial, Seattle Times, October 9, 2013: “What We can Do About Ocean Acidification and Climate Change”
- Article, Kitsap Sun, March 29, 2012: “Expert Panel to Address Ocean Acidification”